Cinema Theater "Splendid Palace"
This building can be seen as a real memorial to the “golden 20s”. It was not only the first public building built in Riga after WWI in 1923, but also the first cinema theater. It was here in 1929 when the first film with sound was screened in the Baltics – the American musical drama Singing Fool (1928).
The building was designed by architect Fridrihs Karlis Skujins (1880–1957) in the Rococo style. The decors of the Main Hall were sculpted by Rihards Maurs and Jēkabs Legzdiņš (1894–1937), while the wall and ceiling paintings by Hermanis Grīnbergs (1888–1928). In the 1930s, Splendid Palace became the most important venue screening Latvian films, and remains to this day. It is here where the annual Lielais Kristaps national film awards are held each year. Since 1994, the cinema theater has been a part of the European Cinema Association Europa Cinemas, and since 2007 also in the Art Cinema Association Art Cinema.
The cafe at the basement of the cinema has also already gained cult status. Today, it was reborn with the name Film Noir and works as an evening cinema theater screening the latest European and Latvian films, giving visitors the opportunity to enjoy a tasty meal and drinks while at the same time enjoying a good film.