Museum of the Occupation of Latvia
“Remember. Commemorate. Remind” – that is the motto is this private museum which tells about the tragic history of Latvia’s occupation. The museum’s exhibition tells about the first Soviet occupation period from 1940 to 1941, the German occupation period from 1941 to 1945, and the second Soviet occupation period from 1945 to 1991.
As of 2017, the museum’s collection was made up of over 60,000 items – documents, photographs, items etc. Many people have also donated their personal items to help tell the story of Latvia’s occupation. Over 2,300 video testimonies have also been recorded. Since 1998, the Occupation Museum has been included in state protocol, and has been visited by many foreign delegations and high ranking officials, including German Chancellor Angela Merkel. The museum was previously located on Strēlnieku Square 1 in Old Town, in the former Soviet-era museum to the Latvian Red Rifleman, used by the Communist party for propaganda purposes. Since the building is in reconstruction, the museum has moved into the former U.S. Embassy building on Raiņa Boulevard 7.