Riga City Hall
Also the building where all the main decisions regarding Riga are made played a role in the establishment of Latvia. On November 19, 1918, the day after the proclamation of the Republic of Latvia, the National Council met to approve the new interim government.
On November 17 Kārlis Ulmanis (1877-1942) was appointed the head of this new government, who in the upcoming years consolidated his power to become one of the most influential politicians in Latvia and in May of 1934 even organized a coup and afterwards introduced an authoritarian regime known as the Era of Ulmanis. In the 1920s and 30s, various institutions and establishments were located inside the building: a bank, library, company offices and even a custody court. In July of 1941, the building was completely destroyed during the German invasion of the city. However, in 2003, a modernized copy of the original 18th century building was constructed. At the moment – the Town Hall serves its purpose, as it is the home of the Riga City Council. Opposite the building, the famous House of the Blackheads is located, one of the most prominent buildings of Riga which was destroyed during the war but rebuilt from the ashes in 1999.