Victims of Communist Terror Memorial in Torņakalns
June 14, 1941 was a fateful day for over 15,000 Latvian residents. The occupying Soviet authorities ordered the detention of these persons without any court ruling, forced them into cattle cars at Torņakalns Rail Station and sent them to various remote locations of the Soviet Union, where many of them died from either starvation or the harsh conditions on the way, from the cold or at one of the gulags.
This Victims of Communist Terror Memorial at Torņakalns Station is an actual deportation wagon. When taking a closer look at the rail wagon, it is hard to believe that over 40 people were crammed into such a small space, never mind the fact that these persons had to endure thousands of kilometers in such a wagon in harsh conditions with little or no food or other necessities.
The memorial stone at the station was unveiled in 1990, and its author is sculptor Ojārs Feldbergs. The memorial wagon was restored using old pictures and placed at the station in 1996. Another memorial has also been erected nearby, which symbolizes the lives which were destroyed on this fateful day.